Estelle de Villiers: “Please become involved, for the love of the animals.”
White River SPCA is a non-profit organization with Section 18A status which means that all donations are tax deductible. They do not receive funding from local government nor from other animal rights organizations and are not subsidized by the National Council of SPCA’s.
This means that White River SPCA is totally reliant upon the generosity of the general public and businesses of White River and are entirely responsible for raising their funds, resulting in the SPCA living month by month in the shadow of the possible closure of the facility. Ideally it would be wonderful to have fixed monthly donations (via debit order) to ensure that they can continue to offer a home for unwanted animals.
It costs about R35 000 a month to cover the running costs, vet bills and salaries to keep the unit running. The unit runs on the bare minimum of staff – a Kennel Manager, Inspector and two Kennel hands.
Without the support of the community and business, who need the services of an SPCA in White River, they are unable to care for unwanted and homeless animals. It’s in everyone’s interest that the welfare of the town’s animals is taken care of.
Fundraising is a daily activity and White River SPCA is particularly active with monthly events happening all the time.
The role played by the SPCA is a wide ranging one, offering:
- A safe haven for your beloved pet, in the event that he gets lost.
- They are your watchdog, making sure that cruelty towards animals is stopped in our area. Complaints are investigated and action is taken against abusers.
- They offer safe boarding kennels where your pets are looked after when you go on holiday.
- They make sure that animals at abattoirs are respected and treated humanely before slaughter.
- They rescue animals daily that are caught cin snares all around the area.
- They make sure that animals and reptiles on display at in parks and pet shops are treated humanely and that they do not suffer for the benefit of humans.
- They assist people who cannot afford to take care of their animals.
- They are in favor of animal sterilization and believe that this is the only way to prevent unwanted litters.
- They educate children on the basic rights and needs of animals.
The White River SPCA appeal to you for a once off donation or a monthly contribution to assist them with the tasks at hand. Your support will help White River SPCA ensure that animals in our town are protected from cruelty and neglect. With your help, White River SPCA can create a community where all animals are treated with respect, care and compassion.
Tungsten Road, White River
Phone: 013 750 0240