It’s party time again on December 1st and we’re getting organised. We’re so grateful for all the help we had from the businesses and people of White River to make our small start in 2015 turn into a fun evening last year. This event can potentially help all of us in White River and build our community. Besides that it great to have an excuse for a big party amongst all the doom and gloom.
This year we are going large and we look forward to the involvement and help of everyone. The plan so far…
The event will be on Friday 1st December, kicking off around 6pm.
We will follow a similar programme to 2016, but with additional activities, broader participation of local organisations, partial street closure and catering for more people.
The theme is carnival, lights, street party.
- Live bands
- Musicians performing at various points up and down the road.
- Street performers: various locations, some moving around. Includes dancers, fire jugglers etc
- Food & drink stalls
- Church market and carols
- Country Square will be setting up a jazzy atmosphere in their car park, with food and lights and perhaps a competition or two.
- White River Square is opening up their car park to music, a children’s play area and will have a car boot sale and spit braai
- Phat Boyz will have music and braais going
- Others up and down the street have committed to putting up lights and getting involved somehow.
- We hope to have parades of people, bicycles, or motor bikes all dressed up in lights
- Of course there needs to be a lot of Lights!
Involvement (“Don’t be left in the Dark!”)
None of this is just going to happen and we are a small team with few resources. We need your ideas, involvement, action, commitment. How can you get involved?
- At the very least dress up your shop, and the pavement/ trees outside in colours and lights. If everyone does just this we will light up the town
- How about staying open for some late night shopping, with some specials for Christmas, have a “sidewalk sale” Put up your banners and show off.
- Give your staff a Christmas party with a braai outside your premises. (Is staying late and transport really a problem that cannot be solved for just one night? -perhaps there are some ideas out there).
- Encourage your tenants to do any of the above and help them arrange it. Motivate your colleagues and neighbours – combine your efforts.
- Arrange some special events, food & beverage and/ or fun activity for passers by
- Get your team/ family to dress up crazily and parade down the street.
- Bring your family to town and join in the fun. Light up your house in colour. Take lots of photos.
- Publicize the event widely to your friends, customers, suppliers. Invite people from far away to come and stay. Get the Nelspruiters to trek up the hill for a jol!
- Help with organising on the night, parking, marshalling, security, clean up etc
- Ideas and suggestions for the following key areas:
- We need to find lots of lights!
- Electrician(s) to help set up
- Sound for music
- Street Performers
- Interesting food vendors
- Organising any of the above or suggestions for who could do so.
- Sponsors, donations, prizes. (we will publicize your contribution far and wide)
- Help with security
- Anything else you can think of
We are ALL White River and this is our party!
Please contact us with your ideas, plans and commitments so we can pull this all together
Many hands make LIGHT work!