Each morning when we awaken we have a choice. A choice as to how we are going to face the day. A choice as to how we will interact with the world. How we will choose to see it. It’s purely our choice, no-one else’s.
Choice = Creation.
It’s that simple really. It’s not so much about what happens, it’s about our attitude to what happens and how we choose to deal with the curve balls and the unexpected that comes our way.
Life in a small town has many joys and many challenges. It’s what we choose to focus on that makes the difference to our own everyday experiences – such as this isn’t a dead or dying town, like others in South Africa. My hubby recently returned from doing business in Virginia in the Free State. No longer a thriving part of the “goldfields” there are derelict and empty office blocks and factories everywhere, struggling businesses, a sad reflection of its former self. We are fortunate to have a town that is thriving and growing and yes, I see it as reasonably safe. We have people passionate about and committed to the well-being and success of White River. We have initiatives like We Are White River that constantly works to uplift and promote the town and its businesses.
My own personal joys at living in White River?
- That mostly everywhere I go I will meet someone I know and can have a chat to, unlike the anonymity of the big cities
- Shop assistants and cashiers recognize and greet you and even become friends!
- The diversity of people living here including some very interesting characters!
- A fabulous monthly market focussed on promoting local products
- An amazing selection of locally produced foods, drinks and art
- The weather, of course
- And the beautiful surroundings. (Do you notice that stunning view as you drive down the hill towards Nelspruit? Breathtaking, I never tire of it)
- Great restaurants where it really is a case of “everybody knows your name”
Those are just a few. What are yours?
Yes, a small town will have its pettiness and its challenges. The frustrations of poor services at times, limited choices and of course, everybody knowing your business and if they don’t, well, they will make something up!
The choice is to be a Victim and accuse, blame, complain, only focus on all that is wrong and end up finding even more fault, live in fear. Or to become more proactive, seek out the positives, come with solutions to challenges and choose to focus on the good and the beautiful. You may be surprised at the changes it brings.
It all starts with you. Start today.