How many of our food choices are made based on delectable images and wafts of fragrant food scents? Food photography is an art and our olfactory senses are naughty – they adore freshly baked goods and is there more iconic than the smell of braai-ing boerie?
That’s all well and good but summer is here and White Riverians need to shape up and confront healthy summer eating head on. Here are some ideas to help you make good food choices:
- Don’t fall for the idea that you need to look like a celebrity. You are perfect and one of a kind, so love what you have got and treat it well.
- Healthy eating is not sacrifice and punishment. There is a phenomenon called sensory specific satiety which plays a role in why new foods taste so good. Eat all foods, especially new foods, thoughtfully and enjoy each bite.
- Be as kind to yourself as you are to others – forgive yourself your occasional lapse. Food intake can be measured over a week rather than 24 hours, so if you gorge one day, rein it in the next and get back on track without self-flagellation. Life is meant to be enjoyed and eating plays a part in that.
- Listen to the whispers – are you hungry or bored? Eat slowly, a meal is to be savoured not rushed.
- Summer is the time to fill your plate with extra fruits and veggies. Fill at least half of your plate with these at each meal.
There is no better summer activity in White River than relaxing over a good meal with friends at one of the many restaurants in town. For a full list of eating establishments, click http://wearewhiteriver.com/white-river-eats/. Remember, mealtimes are an activity as well as a refuelling stop. Treat your body to good quality fuel at a leisurely pace. You are worth it!